The Forum RPG!

Where Fun goes to Die!

Moderator: Oldrac the Chitinous

Kidd

Re: The Forum RPG!

Post by Kidd »

So, quick question on the vitals, I roll for it? And if so, how many die, things like that? I got confused again. It's the green background, sorry.
I Believe In Harvey Dent.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

Kidd wrote:So, quick question on the vitals, I roll for it? And if so, how many die, things like that? I got confused again. It's the green background, sorry.
hmmm... apparently my comments in that subject were too vague in the spreadsheet. i was afraid of that. Rather than having to try and verify 11 different people's rolls for their attributes, i gave everybody 75 points to distribute between their attributes and any skills, weapon proficiencies, and spells that they made up. Your attributes should each be between 3 and 20 (I think i didn't mention that, so my bad on that one).

dinnsdale

Post by dinnsdale »

Thank you for the elucidation, I should have read more carefully.

One final question-- should I also be rolling a d20 and adding that to whatever I put into HP/MP?
Three men walk into a bar. The third man ducks.

dinnsdale

Post by dinnsdale »

Wait-- I take that back. We don't put anything into HP/MP, just into our To Hit Bonus. Yes? And the example Armor Bonus makes me confused. You are supposed to subtract from 10? Or 20? Either way, it looks like your _adding_ to it in the example, not subtracting. :?:

You determine class bonuses, right? Or rather, Twobuy.
Last edited by dinnsdale on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kidd

Post by Kidd »

Sent it. I didn't know what to do with the health and stuff, so put what you want there, since I have a habit of bolstering stats whenever I can.

Pesmerga's reign begins now!

I Believe In Harvey Dent.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

dinnsdale wrote:Wait-- I take that back. We don't put anything into HP/MP, just into our To Hit Bonus. Yes? And the example Armor Bonus makes me confused. You are supposed to subtract from 10? Or 20? Either way, it looks like your _adding_ to it in the example, not subtracting. :?:

You determine class bonuses, right? Or rather, Twobuy.
From what I can tell, your To Hit bonus is essentially Thac0. This means that when you attack, you roll a d20, subtract that number from your To Hit bonus, and that is the armour class that you hit. This means that having an incredibly low armour class is a good thing.

For example, Donovan is attempting to attack his opponent, who has an armour class of 7. Donovan's Attack bonus is 20, since he is not skilled in fighting at all. Donovan attacks, rolling a 12. This means that he hits an armour class that is 8 or higher. Unfortunately for him, this means that his oversized scalpel bounces off of the armour on his opponent. Now, his opponent (with a To Hit bonus of 18) counter-attacks, rolling a 19. This means that he hits any armour that is higher than -1. Sadly, the simple traveling clothing does nothing to lower Donovan's base armour of 10, and the rapier pierces his lung.

At least, that's how I assume that this games attack/defense mechanic works.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

dinnsdale

Post by dinnsdale »

Right, I get it. But do we choose our To Hit Bonus, or does Twobuy? And the example given of the Armor Bonus seems to contradict the note in the blank sheet-- that it starts at 10 and goes down based on clothing/agility. In the example it's 8, which is his Armor from clothing and Agility boost. If I were to believe the note, it would be 2-- that is, 10 minus the 8 from clothing/agility.

I'm gonna roll a d20 for the HP/MP boosts, and leave a blank for the class boost. Still deciding on skills and the like.

Also-- THAC0 means To Hit Armor Class 0? I think I get it. 0 being the highest Armor class. Yes?

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

OK, so for people in my group, just leave the Armor area blank. You can put in 10 for your To Hit if you want, or I can do it... either way is fine by me. Yes, the To Hit works just like THAC0 except that you want to have a high armor class. So if somebody with a To Hit of 10 is attacking somebody with an Armor Bonus of 4, they would have to roll a 14 or higher to hit them (10 To Hit plus 4 Armor Bonus).

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

What is the difference between brains/smarts and agility/speed?
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:What is the difference between brains/smarts and agility/speed?
I described this already in the comments on the spreadsheet.
brains are book smarts
smarts are street smarts
agility is dexterity/nimbleness
speed is running ability

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Yeah, didn't see the little red tabs. My bad.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I know we can't pick our own equipment, but do we pick our items?

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I'm just curious on the 75 points. So say I've spent 50 points on my stats, you'll assign the remaining 25 points to my skills? Just reading the comment on our skills, appears you place our bonus not us. *Edit After reading over the sample character sheet I'm slightly more confused, his skills+stats are 77. So 10 is average anything beyond that is above, and 20 is olypmic athlete level, 3 is impressive your still alive?

Also don't see any space for background/race ectra. Whats allowable? And what time frame are we looking at, more old school or explosives/guns? I only ask cause I 'm planning on doing explosions if I can.

Also you can just use google documents to open up the file, don't need to download open office Or own Excel, and then its in an online format ect.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:I know we can't pick our own equipment, but do we pick our items?
if you want something, then put it in. worst case scenario is that i nix it.
Asherian wrote:I'm just curious on the 75 points. So say I've spent 50 points on my stats, you'll assign the remaining 25 points to my skills? Just reading the comment on our skills, appears you place our bonus not us.

Also don't see any space for background/race ectra. Whats allowable? And what time frame are we looking at, more old school or explosives/guns? I only ask cause I 'm planning on doing explosions if I can.

Also you can just use google documents to open up the file, don't need to download open office Or own Excel, and then its in an online format ect.
if you use 50 points, then you have another 25 to assign to levels in your skills/proficiencies/spells. I am going to assign what the bonus/damage/duration is for a skill per level of that skill, but you decide how far to take that skill.

as far as background for your character... honestly i don't really care. If you care or need a back story in order to get into character, make something up. There are no constraints on anything really. If you want your character to have lasers and grenade launchers, put 'em in. again, the worst that happens is i shoot you down... and i am doing my best to shoot down as little as possible. Also keep in mind that abilities don't have to serve any use in combat. just make them fun and creative and try to keep them with what you imagine your character to be.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Well I sent you my first draft. I'll add items once you've sent it back to me.