Programming Question - Perl in Unix

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Neglected Shoe
Oceanolobiolographer? I hardly know her!

Programming Question - Perl in Unix

Post by Neglected Shoe »

So I'm not sure if this post is in the right place (move if necessary), but I just made an account here earlier today, and I figure it's only appropriate that my first post on a geeky forum would involve programming. Anyways, I'm kinda new at programming (other than html, but that's not reeeaaal programming) so my google searches have turned up nothing, although I'm sure my question is a simple one.

So I'm writing a program in perl in which I ask users to input a list of items for an array. My prof writes the instructions for the programs for windows, but I'm running them in unix. Apparently in windows, the user types "ctrl-z" to end the list, but in unix, this ends the program. I'm trying to figure out what the unix equivalent is for "ctrl-z", or maybe my problem is different all together.

So programmers, please demonstrate your knowledge, as I am a humble n00b.
"Someone didn't pay attention in religion class."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: Programming Question - Perl in Unix

Post by Lethal Interjection »

There hasn't been any discussion of programming here in the past, not including HTML (if you have any questions, hardkore has some websites of information...).
So, I'm not sure we are the kind of geek you are looking for. Though it could've just not come up in conversation.
Also I don't know what TwoBuy does at Microsoft, but while it probably requires some form of programming, his continued absence won't particularly help.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I don't think a Microsoft employee would be trained in Unix anyways.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

mountainmage wrote:I don't think a Microsoft employee would be trained in Unix anyways.
I thought about that. But if you went to school and learned some programming it is entirely possible you would be familiar with Unix. Even if it wasn't what you used personally or professionally or even recently.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Well I didn't mean that they couldn't know it, but I meant that Microsoft wouldn't train their employees in Unix.*

*So...many...contractions!
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

mountainmage wrote:Well I didn't mean that they couldn't know it, but I meant that Microsoft wouldn't train their employees in Unix.*
Sure. But what I'm saying is that I doubt Microsoft is hiring completely untrained people to do their programming, so one of the employee's professors or whathaveyou might have taught them with Unix. It would require re-training, sure. But it would be easier than starting from scratch, I presume.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Sure. But what I'm saying is that I doubt Microsoft is hiring completely untrained people to do their programming, so one of the employee's professors or whathaveyou might have taught them with Unix. It would require re-training, sure. But it would be easier than finding Dr. Livingstone, I presume.
Fixed that typo for you, no need to thank me.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Edminster wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:Sure. But what I'm saying is that I doubt Microsoft is hiring completely untrained people to do their programming, so one of the employee's professors or whathaveyou might have taught them with Unix. It would require re-training, sure. But it would be easier than finding the song Dr. Livingstone, I presume by the Moody Blues (which is a great band). Oh wait you could probably just google it. Never mind.
Fixed that typo for you, no need to thank me.
Fixed Ed's fix, no need to thank me.

Neglected Shoe

Post by Neglected Shoe »

:D None of this helps!

Speaking of not helping, New England is getting bombarded with obnoxious snow, and I still have class in a half hour! Any New Englanders remember that day a while back when it was in the 50s? Oh wait, that was yesterday.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Hmm, a question on the SMBC forum receives unhelpful responses. The reading on my obvious meter is off the scales!

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

My God, mage! My sarcasm detector just exploded because of you!
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

You know I looked for a good image for the obvious meter? Someone needs to get on that, stat.

Neglected Shoe

Post by Neglected Shoe »

The answer is ctrl-d.

I'd like to see your "give a damn" meters right now.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Well let's just say my FIG meter is reading pretty low right about now.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Well, I found a FIG meter, and it confirms that mountainmage's is properly calibrated.
GiveAFlipMeter2.gif
Nothing personal about any of this, Neglected Shoe. We're not really helpful, even at the best of times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gödel stop spreading fud