Brand NEWW shoes!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Who's shoe signature was the best (by any criteria)?

Chris Halbeck (Book of Biff)
No votes
Randy Munroe (xkcd)
6%
Jorge Cham (PHD)
No votes
Chris Hastings (Dr. McNinja)
44%
Steve Baird (Less Than Three)
No votes
Zach WeIner (SMBC)
25%
Lar Desouza (LICD and LFG)
13%
Mookie (Dominic Deegan)
No votes
Ryan North (Dinosaur Comics)
13%
Kris Straub (that other comic)
No votes

Total votes: 16

Neglected Shoe
Oceanolobiolographer? I hardly know her!

Brand NEWW shoes!

Post by Neglected Shoe »

I've been making a lot of shoe posts lately. I suppose it's only fitting, given my name.

Anyway, I went to NEWW (New England Webcomic Weekend) and had a blast! I wore white shoes and had comics sign them. It was a fantastic time, so if they do it again next year, I highly recommend trying to make it.

And now, without further ado, the shoes:

Chris Halbeck of The Book of Biff. He's a really nice guy.

Randy Munroe of xkcd (yes, he was there). The signature came out awesome, in my opinion.

Jorge Cham of PHD Comics. He's also very nice.

Chris Hastings of Dr. McNinja. Ben Franklin II is my favorite character in this strip, and Chris drew a sketch of him in the book I bought :D.

Steve Baird of Less Than Three. Also a very nice guy (I'm sensing a trend here).

Zach WEINER of SMBC (linked in case you're slow). I know I've posted this picture on the message board elsewhere, but I figured it bore repeating because 1- Zach drew an anglerfish for me 2- He spelled his own name wrong. Nice going, Zach.

Lar Desouza and Ryan Sohmer of Looking for Group and Least I Could Do. Both great guys (hilarious and Canadian - a winning combination). Guess which is the artist and which is the writer.

Image Image

Michael "Mookie" Terracciano of Dominic Deegan. Another very friendly fellow!

Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics. His comic is genius, he's the most humble guy you'll ever meet, but he can't draw for shit. Case in point, that's supposed to be a drawing of a dinosaur.

And last but not least, the signature of Kris Straub (in blue) of Starslip Crisis. I also posted this elsewhere, but it also bears repeating. In case you weren't aware, there is a feud between Zach and Kris, and I asked Zach (in red) to desecrate his signature.

"Someone didn't pay attention in religion class."

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Brand NEWW shoes!

Post by Edminster »

Anyone who votes against Zach is a traitor and will be shot.

::edit::
Crap, my Mod powers don't extend to telling me who voted for what. DAMN YOU ANONYMOUS VOTING SYSTEM!
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Hey Shoe, I bought the first two volumes of Dr. McNinja with the personalized sketches as well. I posted details here and here. As much as I love SMBC (been reading it forever), I'm gonna have to go with Chris on this one.

Also, no offense, but I think Dinosaur Comics is rubbish.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Curses! Why is nobody else voting for SMBC, how am I supposed to pretend to be you otherwise?
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Neglected Shoe
Oceanolobiolographer? I hardly know her!

Post by Neglected Shoe »

mountainmage wrote:Hey Shoe, I bought the first two volumes of Dr. McNinja with the personalized sketches as well. I posted details here and here. As much as I love SMBC (been reading it forever), I'm gonna have to go with Chris on this one.
I voted for Chris Hastings as well - that's the best shoe drawing I've ever seen. Well, I suppose I haven't seen too many shoe drawings. In fact 95% of my experience with drawing on shoes occurred this past week. The other 5% was boredom in high school geometry.

Edit: Concerning Dinosaur comics, I read probably about the first 30% of the archives (my god, the archives are so expansive) and I really enjoyed it. So, I'm basing my assessment on that. Also, after meeting Ryan North, I have to say that he is probably one of the most humble and personable comics I've ever met. He's just one of those all-around nice guys. He also has a twisted sense of humor, which I think you'll agree is pretty awesome. Anyway, I'm not trying to say that because he has a good personality that he automatically has a good comic, but meeting him definitely made me want to pick up the archive again.
"Someone didn't pay attention in religion class."

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Oh, man, I was sure that the dinosaur was this dog.

I think that if I had my pick of any kind of fame, I'd want to be a famous webcomicker. (It totally counts.) Not so big that you can't get a moment's peace, but you've got a bunch of people that genuinely like what you do. And good company besides.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

I voted Ryan North, because i really like his drawing?

I mean, it's the only one i could have drawn myself...
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah, I voted for Chris Hastings purely based on the shoe art. I didn't think that was really Zach's best work (I mean he even spelt his last name wrong), whereas that was a pretty good Doctor McNinja. Also I'm a really huge Dr. McNinja fan. Even so, it was still a hard choice.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Maybe next weekend I'll scan the sketches I got in my Dr. McNinja volumes 1&2, so you guys can see them, especially since there seems to be many fans of Chris here.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

SMBC is my favorite webcomic for hilarity. Dr McNinja is my favorite webcomic for awesome. It was a tough choice, but based on the signatures I had to choose Hastings. Misspelling your last name almost won it for you though Zach. It was a nice touch.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

If he had spelled it Zach Winner, or something along those lines, that'd've been funny. I need to start using more double contractions, they're awesome.

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

mountainmage wrote:If he had spelled it Zach Winner, or something along those lines, that'd've been funny. I need to start using more double contractions, they're awesome.
Wha'bout'riples?++
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

ChooChooTrain wrote:Wha'bout'riples?
1. That's not a triple contraction.
2. It's not a real word, period.

I'll stick to real double contractions thank you very much!

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

mountainmage wrote:
ChooChooTrain wrote:Wha'bout'riples?
1. That's not a triple contraction.
2. It's not a real word, period.

I'll stick to real double contractions thank you very much!
1. I didn't think it was.
That's all. A list of one is only slightly more retarded than a list of two.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

1. I didn't think you thought it was.
2. Lists of two are awesome, so nyeh!