The Linguists' Club!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Re: The Linguists' Club!

Post by LordRetard »

Fuck man I am studying Spanish and German. I don't know any puns in THOSE languages either.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

How am I going to get any of these? I can barely read any Spanish.

"En Buenos Aires hay un hipódromo. Cuando vaya allí, quiero participar en un concurso de hipos."
HILARIOUS. I knew some people who could burp on command and some of them were damn loud at it, but it's not the same thing.

And I understood this one:
"El odio es un hijo de disputa."
But I don't GET it. It says "hate is a son of dispute". What the hell does that mean?

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

LR, this is probably more of a grammar thing than linguistics, but you may still be interested. I thought it was awesome.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

ChooChooTrain wrote:LR, this is probably more of a grammar thing than linguistics, but you may still be interested. I thought it was awesome.
Hahah I've already seen it. The Spanish have a similar saying:

"¿Cómo como? Como como como."

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Oh Choochoo, I've heard of that before. And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present: The Inevitable Remix.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

ChooChooTrain wrote:LR, this is probably more of a grammar thing than linguistics, but you may still be interested. I thought it was awesome.
Funny you should mention that.
(This remark will make sense in a few days.)
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I'll believe it when I see it.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

mountainmage wrote:Oh Choochoo, I've heard of that before. And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present: The Inevitable Remix.
Mage, you have brought nearly unending joy to me with that music.
Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Funny you should mention that.
I take it that it has to do with your article on General General?
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Edminster wrote:
Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Funny you should mention that.
I take it that it has to do with your article on General General?
Very perceptive!
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Wow, that was some obscure connection there, Oldrac. Kudos to Ed for figuring that out.
Edminster wrote:
mountainmage wrote:Oh Choochoo, I've heard of that before. And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present: The Inevitable Remix.
Mage, you have brought nearly unending joy to me with that music.
I aim to please. Or get a bullseye. Depends on whether I'm talking to someone, or throwing darts.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

mountainmage wrote:Wow, that was some obscure connection there, Oldrac. Kudos to Ed for figuring that out.
I didn't think it obscure. Then again I've been looking forward to the Lexicon contributions, and 'General General' has the same Wordplay as 'Buffalo Buffalo...'
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Well, as the creator of General General, I can say I wasn't being as creative as you thought I was. Y'see there was this show on cartoon network a while ago, called Sheep in the Big City. Now, I don't remember much about it, but there was a character named General Specific and he had an underling, Private Public. I thought the names were clever, and they just stuck with me. And that's how I came up with General General.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I must admit that as soon as I saw your first mention of General General I thought of that show. However, I wasn't certain that it wasn't simply a figment of my imagination, but I couldn't be arsed to verify otherwise.

Also I was recently attempting to read Catch-22 which has a character named Major Major who holds a rank of Major (creating Major Major Major for those of you playing at home). So, that helped connect everything together.

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Bah, you saw right through me.*

*That's right. I said bah after mentioning a show called Sheep in the Big City. Deal with it.