Manga

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Manga

Post by Edminster »

Well, now Suzuki has a DOUBLE-MOUSTACHE!
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

That's why he's such an imposing figure.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I used to like David Suzuki.
But then he praised Walmart for its efforts regarding sustainability.
Frankly, I don't see it at all.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Did anyone read The Makeshift Miracle?

It's a graphic novel on the internets, it's finished, and it's not bad. Parts of it are cliched or just silly but the end of the story gets pretty good. Moreover it wouldn't take more than an hour or two to read.

Anything maybe like this? Because at the very least I could read it, but maybe that's because it's page-by-page. Maybe the internet just makes things easier.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

So, 'graphic novel' is the new way of saying 'super-long comic book'? Good to know.

Also if you don't mind the fact that it's still running, Templar, Arizona is all kinds of awesome.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Isn't a graphic novel just a comic book with nice solid binding?

But for serious:
Wiki wrote:A graphic novel is a type of comic book, usually with a lengthy and complex storyline similar to those of novels.
It's not a very good definition, really, but that's what they are. It's a comic book in the format of a novel. I also like that it generally doesn't include a lot of "traditional" comic books and superhero things because I'm not very fond of them; in that respect, it's simply convenient. However it can also include things like manga, which I am less fond of. I'm beginning to think that my problem is less than one with the medium and more that I simply have yet to find anything that I really like.

I like it when a series is finished because I can run through it in one go, but I'll take a look anyway.

Man, wish I had a job as a columnist.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Post-nuke is ok. The artwork is decent and the storyline is interesting. He doesn't update often, though.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I'm almost certain we've had the graphic novel debate here before.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

On this forum, or in this thread? Because it definitely never got around to happening right here.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

LordRetard wrote:On this forum, or in this thread? Because it definitely never got around to happening right here.
Really? You couldn't find it? I could be wrong, I suppose, but I was pretty certain we had mentioned it. I don't know where else I would've had the conversation in print (which is what I remember) as I haven't been a part of another board with any regularity in the last few years (and there, I wouldn't really have been involved, as the VA board is made up of about 68% comic nerds). Hmmmm...

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Skip Beat
Five Stars
Summery: Kyoko follows her childhood friend/crush to Tokyo to support him while he becomes famous, only to be dropped when he makes a name for himself. Vowing absolute revenge Kyoko decides to beat him at his own game, and embarks on a mishap filled journey to climb the showbiz ladder.

-------------------

I just want to take a moment to recommend my favourite manga to the masses. I wanted to write a review of it, but found myself unable to describe it in a way that wasn't just long winded compliments.* So here's the tall and short of it:

My Comments: "Skip Beat" is essentially the story of a young woman (Kyoko) and her growth from a small mousy subservient girl, to an empowered and magnetic woman. It is a romantic comedy, BUT the romance is not predominate, so you could be excused for not realising it is there at first. The comedy, however, is thick and true from the very beginning. It has strong characters that are not only lovable (and I don't mean fluffy bunny lovable, I mean that person is so brilliant you can not help but love them) but also well developed and often intriguing. The story is long, but it does not, at any time, seem to drag. It is brilliantly written so that even with fan translations it is amusing and endearing.
The only draw back of the manga, one that I easily overlook, is that I did not particularly like the drawing style at the beginning of the work. I have since grown used to it, or the artist has gotten better (I think a little of both).
Example: Old New

*I accept that I have done this all the same, but trust me that it is less stuffy than it would otherwise have been.
King Prawn

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Kimra wrote:Skip Beat
That summary reminds me of Felicity.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Yay someone read it.

Never heard of Felicity. Is it a tv show or a manga? It seems to sound like more of a tv show... but I wouldn't put it passed the Japanese to name their main character Felicity even though it makes no sense. :D

Would love to read/watch a bit of this Felicity to compare. I suspect strongly that they are very very different. Kyoko has a tendency to get really angry, and evil spirits (that look like mini emo hers) personify around her and attack people... but in a funny way.
King Prawn

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I so did not read it. I was just being random. You know how I am.

It was a show here in the United States of Awesome. Not as popular as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel, the Vampire slayer (as in a vampire that is a slayer, rather than a slayer of vampires Buffy was.)
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Your so mean. :P

I guess Felicity was some sort of vampire killing person as well then? Else why would you mention these other vampire slaying shows?

p.s. I love Buffy, excellent show, one of my favourites of all time.
King Prawn