Alternate Demises of SMB City

Symposium Mandated Bibliognostic 'Cyclopedia
Post Reply
User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by Cirtur »

As we all know SMB City was destroyed in the <<Wars of AD 2101>>, but as scholars are torn as to whether the damage was destined to happen several suggestions have been put forward as to other ways the city could have been destroyed, had the wars not taken their toll.

The four most popular projections are that of Stagnation, Boredom, Whimsy and Guilt, however Stagnation and Whimsy are the two most likely projections and used most by scholars when talking about the alternate demises of SMB City.

Stagnation refers to the trend in which inhabitants of the city stop talking to one another and remain in their houses, waiting for conversations to start which they never do. They begin to move away from the city, searching for other places to talk and connect to others and SMB City is left with only the most depraved of inhabitants living in its Central Nuclear Core.

Whimsy as a name is used to refer to the projection that the leaders of SMB City, namely Zach the Evitable, decide to start Social Experiments and building projects. They build new real estate that is never inhabited and start denying citizenship to even the most legitimate applicants. The oldest residents are cast out of their homes in favour of "Consumer Denizens" and THE STORE closes.

Boredom and Guilt were recently disproved by Professor Mage of Mountain University, however they are included as popular theories because of the public perception of their viability.

User avatar
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains
Posts: 9601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Right here. Right now.

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by mountainmage »

Interesting theories, old chap. But may I ask where Zach received the title Evitable? Evitable means easy to avoid, as in the opposite of inevitable. Therefore, I believe you have mislabeled the great creator, or the title is one I've never heard of. Both are quite possible, seeing as how Zach the Creator went by many names.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by Cirtur »

I believe Zach the Evitable as a term was his official designation in the United interNetions. Perhaps it was due to SMB City being involved only in its own affairs.

User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by Edminster »

While I normally vehemently argue with this descendant of Cirtur, I must concede this point. While Zach was generally held to be inescapable in his various Creations, outside of them he was far from noticeable. In fact, this is the main reason that he avoided assassination for so very long.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep
Contact:

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Cirtur wrote:Boredom and Guilt were recently disproved by Professor Mage of Mountain University, however they are included as popular theories because of the public perception of their viability.
With no disrespect intended to either of Professors Cirtur or Mage, I feel that the point needs to be made that there are still many serious scholars that consider Boredom to be either the primary cause of the decline of the proud SMB City, or at least a necessary part of the Stagnation model. Even the Guilt model still has its supporters. While I don't go so far as to say that I agree with these viewpoints, I do take exception with the categorical dismissal of these alternative viewpoints based on the findings of a single researcher. We need to "teach the controversy," if you will.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

User avatar
AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop
Posts: 5515
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:54 am
Location: Box of Cereal.
Contact:

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by AHMETxRock »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:
Cirtur wrote:Boredom and Guilt were recently disproved by Professor Mage of Mountain University, however they are included as popular theories because of the public perception of their viability.
With no disrespect intended to either of Professors Cirtur or Mage, I feel that the point needs to be made that there are still many serious scholars that consider Boredom to be either the primary cause of the decline of the proud SMB City, or at least a necessary part of the Stagnation model. Even the Guilt model still has its supporters. While I don't go so far as to say that I agree with these viewpoints, I do take exception with the categorical dismissal of these alternative viewpoints based on the findings of a single researcher. We need to "teach the controversy," if you will.
Alas, we must keep an air of neutrality to our works. One is not more important than another simply due to it's significance. Undoubtably, the posibility exists that merely only one of the problems would not have been enough of a catalyst to cause such a reaction.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

User avatar
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains
Posts: 9601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Right here. Right now.

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by mountainmage »

While my great grandfather was an influential researcher of The Forum, I agree that we should not dismiss the other options as fallacy because of his opinions, expert though they may be.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by Cirtur »

Show me a serious scholar who will promote Guilt over Whimsy and I will show you a man (or lesbian. I don't discriminate) who has just lost their tenure.

User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by Edminster »

No offense intended, but I believe that we have seen three fairly prominent researchers (one of whom is the flesh-and-nanite descendant of the Great Professor Mage) saying that your entry is far from complete.

Not only that, but the Symposium is wondering why the subjects of Guilt and Whimsy are so controversial if they are easily dismissable. They understand your distaste for the subject however, and are requesting that a more amenable Author expand upon them.

In respect for professors fearing for their tenure, submissions regarding the two discardable theories can be sent to me via the Personal Missive utility. The identity of the contributors will remain anonymous unless requested otherwise.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep
Contact:

Re: Alternate Demises of SMB City

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

mountainmage wrote:Interesting theories, old chap. But may I ask where Zach received the title Evitable? Evitable means easy to avoid, as in the opposite of inevitable. Therefore, I believe you have mislabeled the great creator, or the title is one I've never heard of. Both are quite possible, seeing as how Zach the Creator went by many names.
I think some of the confusion stems from the fact that there were actually two Zachs the Evitable. As Dean Cirtur has indicated, "the Evitable" was the style used by the UIN to indicate Zach the Founder, also called the Benefactor. This originates from this discussion (date unknown) that took place at Zach's first UIN meeting.
Pres. indicates Levi Butler, Presiding Officer of the United InterNetions
SMBC indicates Zach Benefactor, delegate from the SMBC Forum.
BL indicates Kristofer Straub, delegate from the Blank Label Consortium.

Pres.: And your office will be located at 59.150.17.101. We're glad to have you.
SMBC: Yeah. Thanks.
Pres.: One last matter, and then we'll move on to new business. What shall we list as your official title?
SMBC: Zach the Adjective seems to be popular.
Pres.: Any... particular adjective?
SMBC: I don't really care. Make something up.
BL: How about Zach the Evitable?
SMBC: Yeah, that's fine.
As a result, Zach the Evitable was the name by which Zach Benefactor is known by almost everyone outside of the Forum itself.

The second Zach the Evitable was the nephew and namesake of the first; it is this Zach that is the subject of this article. When he came into power, he resolved that he would only be known by one style. He chose 'Evitable', the most widely recognized of his predecessor's titles, in order to invoke a sense of continuity of power. Outside of the forum, this Zach is less well-known, and those writings that do reference him do so as Zach II. However, for our purposes, Zach the Evitable is the correct title.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Post Reply