Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
User avatar
Raziel
8=======D ~ ~ ~
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 am
Location: Hopefully with Sarah
Contact:

Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Raziel »

It's pretty damn good. Think string theory with all the bullshit cut out, myths inserted in, multiple homoerotic scenes, and vulgarity that would make a sailor blush. I've honestly never come across such an imaginative book, and it's definitely one of those books out there that you have to read multiple times to get.

The closest books I can think of in the same sort of strain are The Great and Secret Show or possibly The Name of the Wind, although they're not at all like the book so far as context goes, but rather just great examples of imagination run wild.
Olympian mating rituals: "I'm gonna turn into a swan and fuck you!"

User avatar
AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop
Posts: 5515
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:54 am
Location: Box of Cereal.
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by AHMETxRock »

There is no bullshit in string theory. Wanna know what's bullshit?
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Cirtur »

Being taxed and allowed to join the army, but not having the vote?

FUN FACT: I am going to fill out a tax return and get my £52 back. FUCK YOU GOVERNMENT. THIS IS MY MONEY.

User avatar
Raziel
8=======D ~ ~ ~
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 am
Location: Hopefully with Sarah
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Raziel »

Cirtur wrote:Being taxed and allowed to join the army, but not having the vote?

FUN FACT: I am going to fill out a tax return and get my £52 back. FUCK YOU GOVERNMENT. THIS IS MY MONEY.
I'll agree that that is indeed bullshit.
AHMETxRock wrote:There is no bullshit in string theory. Wanna know what's bullshit?
I should have worded that better, my bad. What I really meant was something closer to "It's based on the idea that there are parallel realities where events are slightly different (sort of like string theory) however it doesn't get bogged down in physics and needless discussion of how things actually work."

I'd also like to point out that I realize that there's much more to string theory than the tiny bit I've written here, so please don't hate me for not properly explaining things, hate me for the horrible person that I am.
Olympian mating rituals: "I'm gonna turn into a swan and fuck you!"

User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
Posts: 9973
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by LordRetard »

Raziel wrote:it doesn't get bogged down in physics and needless discussion of how things actually work.
Yes, I am the same way, people should take my opinions at face value instead of asking questions.

User avatar
AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop
Posts: 5515
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:54 am
Location: Box of Cereal.
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by AHMETxRock »

The holocaust isn't real? Well, I guess. DO YOU PLAY HALO?
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
Posts: 9973
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by LordRetard »

AHMETxRock wrote:The holocaust isn't real? Well, I guess I agree entirely
Fix'd.

User avatar
Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:06 pm
Location: The Mathiverse

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Cirtur wrote:Being taxed and allowed to join the army, but not having the vote?

FUN FACT: I am going to fill out a tax return and get my £52 back. FUCK YOU GOVERNMENT. THIS IS MY MONEY.
You should consider starting your own republic. Go find some like-minded, slave-owning capitalists.

I would just like to say here and now that I think string theory is bullshit.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Cirtur »

Fuck you String Theory isn't bullshit.

And also I don't my own republic. That sounds like a lot of work.

User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
Posts: 9973
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by LordRetard »

I think all of quantum mechanics is bullshit but most people disagree strongly with me.

User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
Posts: 9964
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Cirtur »

That's because you're wrong.

Quantum mechanics is the one that makes sense. Classical mechanics is the bullshit.

User avatar
Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."
Posts: 4360
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Sahan »

Quantum mechanics when applied to macro-sized objects limits out to appear like how it is Newtonian mechanics, but when you got down to the fine details, you realise that it's fundamentally determined by purely random probabilities. It still makes sense in the 'real world', but gives a way better explanation for how things behave at extremely small scales or extremely low temperatures that we don't usually get to witness.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

User avatar
Raziel
8=======D ~ ~ ~
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 am
Location: Hopefully with Sarah
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Raziel »

Cirtur wrote:Fuck you String Theory isn't bullshit.

And also I don't my own republic. That sounds like a lot of work.
I'm inclined to say that parts of String Theory are bullshit, however so far as theories go it's still fairly new, so give it 50 years to evolve and we'll see where we're at.
Olympian mating rituals: "I'm gonna turn into a swan and fuck you!"

User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep
Contact:

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

It's my opinion (I may have expressed it before) that String Theory is more of a religion than a science, just with more math and less moral guidance than most. It's something people believe in because they like it, because it's elegant*, rather than because there's any supporting data.

Quantum Mechanics, for the most part, is really beyond dispute at this point. It's been vindicated in countless experiments. I probably personally know a dozen people that do Quantum Optics experiments on a daily basis. What it means is still open, to a large degree, to interpretation, but as a predictive tool, it's pretty much spot-on.You're free to deny it anyway, of course, but I'd consider it comparable to insisting that dinosaur bones were put there by Satan. I'm not looking for any trouble.

End Rant.

*Well, as elegant as a theory that requires you to make up 6 extra dimensions can be.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

User avatar
Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:06 pm
Location: The Mathiverse

Re: Anyone here read Vellum: Book of all Hours?

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Quantum mechanics is well-supported by experiment, but scientists still have some conceptual issues with it, particularly concerning the R portion (the collapse of quantum superpositions into one state or the other.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

Post Reply